Saturday, December 1, 2007

Fun with Podcasts

As a non-radio listener, I was skeptical about podcasting. I realize, though, that the virtue of podcasting is that one can be very selective about what one listens to in a way one can't with radio. I signed up for three book-related podcasts. One featured authors from Simon and Schuster. I listened to Lance Bass reflect on his memoirs and found Bass to be every bit as articulate and insightful as I imagined. My second podcast was called Book of our Times which featured authors perhaps more accomplished than Bass but presumably without his singing and dancing abilities. These podcasts were very long--an hour or more--much too long for me to listen to at work. My third and favorite podcast was Nancy Pearl's book reviews which I found on the NPR website. I really enjoyed listening to Nancy and appreciated the brevity of her reviews. Although I don't see myself giving up audiobooks any day soon, I wouldn't mind listening to Nancy as well in the future.

As for podcasting at the library, I think Nancy provides a good template: short reviews of new and favorite books or, in other words, an extended shelf talk.

No comments: