Friday, November 23, 2007

Social Networking for the Antisocial

I already have a Myspace account I use for lurking on other people's sites so I established a Facebook account. I used my real information on the off chance that one day some long lost friend will contact me. It is very easy to establish a boring page on Facebook. I think Facebook is a little too restrictive with their privacy controls. There's not much you can see on someone's profile unless you become their "friend," which is more than I want to do with people I may know only distantly. In this way the more free-wheeling Myspace system is better. I also am puzzled by the concept of "poking" on Facebook. I needed to do an experiment to see how it works and even then didn't see the point of poking.

3 comments:

rich said...

from what i can tell, even people who "poke" others on facebook don't really understand the point of doing so.

Toby said...

The true purpose of poking seems to be a mystery for the ages, right up there with "who put the bomp in the bomp sh-bomp sh-bomp."

Teagan said...

High school kids LOVE to "poke" each other. It seems to be a quick way of saying "hi," as far as I can tell.